Friday, May 20, 2022

Back to The Derbyshire Dales - 19th May ‘22

Much like Mr Nelson, Brunnehilda and I are”on the road again!” But unlike Willie, I’m not “going to places I’ve never been”! Indeed, for the first time in the 3 years of travelling with Brunnehilda, I’m off to the same site twice in a row.

The trip started well. I got to the Welton Lodge Farm at the planned 10 am and was on the road in a record 35 mins. That sense of excitement that I had at this stage of a Brunnehilda trip when I was with my beloved travelling companion is now totally missing. At best, it’s a sort of resigned process following - like getting ready to go to the dentist!


I was pleased with myself though as I did some excellent and accurate backing dropping Brunnehilda straight onto the towing ball without the need for motor moving. Checking brake lights (I wedge the brake pedal on while I run to the back of Brunnehilda and check) and positioning the mirrors are more challenging without my co-pilot but that didn’t stop me being on the motorway by 10.45.


A crap journey though after an efficient beginning. Firstly the service stations in the M1 are appallingly bad for caravans. Now in relation to Ukraine and the Cost of Living Crisis, I appreciate this is not a big deal but having to go into 3 service stations before you can find one you can stop at is a tad annoying. The first one required me to have reversing skills that I just don’t possess (I wish I did but I just don’t!) and the second one was crammed full of HGVs. The all day breakfast at Tibshelf was definitely not worth the wait!


Back on the road and things continued in this theme - I took a wrong turning off the motorway, I went round a roundabout a couple of times in Chesterfield and then a diversion outside Baslow directed me into the countryside onto B roads and then just abandoned me there as the diversion signs seemed to run out! I finally arrived at Topley Head Farm at 2pm.



The set up took longer this time - I don’t know why. There is just one other van with me but I still let the dogs have the run of the field while I went through the process. I Backed onto the pitch but then had to use the motor-mover as I needed to raise her up onto a ramp on one side. The site is feels very “agricultural” … lambs and sheep in the field, a pungent cow muck smell coming from the adjoining farmyard and an infestation of flies. They’re ok though, they’re not like the annoying midges as they don’t bite you. It’s just they’re annoying wee things and you can’t help thinking where they’ve been when they’re in you’re hair and crawling over your face!


Off for a walk at 4pm.  I fancied walking out the back of the farm and trying to find a circular route down to the Monsal Trail. Well I find it but I have to say the first half of the walk was far from enjoyable!! The footpaths in the Dales are not well marked, the stiles can be challenging and most require collies to be thrown over, the sheep necessitate a lot of lead work with the dogs, the bullocks are very “lively” and over friendly and the walk down into Topley Pike was a little too steep and slippery for my taste! Luckily I had brought the walking stick with me. I got totally lost at one stage. Thankfully a kind farmer showed me a non footpathed short cut. Although this was the one that got us facing off the bullocks.




Once we crossed the A6 we could follow the beautiful River Wye for a mile or so. The dogs, especially Ben, couldn’t keep out of the cooling waters. We finally arrived in familiar territory from my walk in March. We had a wee break by the river in front of some handsome cottages and then started the hike over the Monsal Trail and then up the Pennine Bridleway back up to the A6 and onto the farm. 




In all about 2 hours. Kim would have bloody hated it. She hated the unknown element of walking “blind” and the bullocks would have been the icing on the cake. Well I said I wanted to do things that we wouldn’t have done - well this walk certainly fitted the bill. 


Back to Brunnehilda for a beer, a chat with my neighbours, WhatsApp calls with Thom and Bobby, a cup of tea and an episode of Ken Burns Civil War. The couple (and their Bulgarian Sheep Dog - it’s bloody huge!) seem nice. Another 60 (ish) couple though enjoying time together which sets off another bout of “poorme” negative reflection from yours truly- arghhhh!

I waited too long before going out. The pubs in Tideswell had stopped serving at 8 so I went to a chippy to buy some rather average chips, Luke warm gravy and a Yorkshire Fishcake! Turns out a Yorkshire Fishcake is pretty much a fish cake! So the food was not at all pleasant but eating it watching the glorious sunset and the football on Sky Go was a pleasant way to finish the day.



More tea, Ken Burns and Cadbury’s chocolate before heading to bed to write the blog. The weather has been bloody marvellous today. I think that might change tomorrow?


No comments:

Post a Comment