Sunday, June 16, 2019

The First Journey

It was certainly a “high noon” at Blackmore Vale Leisure! We headed out at 12 o’clock after I had expertly followed the clear instructions to de-rig. I do love a well written  process so all went well and I was like a pig in s***.



Then Mark turned up to help us motor move Brunnehilda into place. I know we can put a man on the moon and make cars that drive themselves but to see her turn on a sixpence like a remote control car was still jaw dropping! I was very paranoid about Brunnehilda’s nose weight - not sure why- but the BMV guys calmed my nerves and told me all would be ok!


As you would expect with our flaming British June, it rained most of the way home. No real incident apart from me going wrong and heading through the centre of Warminster. As it turns out, it was a good day to lose my caravan touring virginity - dual carriageway nearly all the way and very few lorries! The Volvo XC60 found Brunnehilda’s weight to its liking and, apart from an 10mpg drop in consumption, she hardly raised a sweat.


We arrived back in Northamptonshire at 5 and rocked up at a beautiful little site at Kilsby (about 5 miles from home) - bookings@shireviewkilsby.co.uk
The fabulous view was due to it being on the side of a hill which meant the van needed to be very high at the front and low at the back. The motor mover earned its crust again and I had a first go at driving up a ramp on one wheel to even Brunnehilda up. Apart from tripping over a Dutch couples tent guy ropes and breaking my key in a lock ( and the lock!) all went well.

We picked up Bobby (our youngest son) and the 3 grandchildren and took them to meet Brunnehilda. A walk and a cup of coffee later and Bobby headed home. The Twinnies and Charlie watched a DVD and settled down to bed - 5 of us in a 3/4 berth? But to be fair, two of them are only little.

This could be a long night ?!



2 comments:

  1. Hi John, Looks amazing! Hope you enjoyed your short time in my neck of the woods? :-) Van looks great, very posh well except coming from the West Country :-) :-)
    Looking forward to reading about your upcoming adventures. Enjoy!
    KR Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Simon. Weve done a lot of West Country this summer / autumn. Off to Padstow in December as well - can't keep away?!

    ReplyDelete