Saturday, March 30, 2024

Seahouses & Berwick - 29th Mar ‘24

A good day. I planned a beach walk, a swim, fish and chips and a trip to Berwick. And that’s exactly what I got.

Another really nice day. Sunny from waking up in the morning to getting back to Brunnehilda at 5pm - apart from a 15 minute heavy shower (which I got caught in!).


After bacon bagels we headed to Bamburgh. I parked up at the side of the main road about 1 mile short of the village - thereby avoiding parking costs and reducing my walk into and back from Seahouses by a couple of miles. The beach walk was 3 miles in and 3 miles back. 


The tide was out so Tilly had lots of space to enjoy herself and, more importantly, I could get far enough away from my fellow beach walkers to have a swim.



I kept finding excuses not to do it until I found the perfect place. Rocks to put my clothes on, a nice sandy spot to walk out on and 100 yards from the nearest person. It was cold but probably no worse than the outdoor pool I swam in in Shrewsbury last week. I reckon about 10 degrees?


It was bracing! I probably only swam for about 5 minutes - that was enough! Tilly was getting a little stressed - it was like a small cove so she could run out on the rocks alongside me manically yelping!


It’s a gorgeous feeling when you get out! It was quite rough so hard to get a proper swim in. I was glad I did it though and headed off to get my prize - fish and chips from the wonderful Neptune fish restaurant in Seahouses.

There was a 15 minute queue but then it was BH Friday! The village was very busy with people fighting for parking spots. I was glad I had walked in!

I headed off to the rocks to find a secluded place to have my fish, chips and curry sauce. I shared it with Tilly of course - although she was much fonder of the fish than the chips - as indeed I was so that was a shame for Tilly!!


We walked back along the beach and reached the car at about 2pm.

Berwick was about a 40 minute, 25 mile journey up the A1. Amazingly, I’ve never been before! Gone over the bridge(s) in both a car and a train but never visited.

What a smashing place. So many old buildings and a wall that goes all the way around the ancient town - 1.3 miles apparently. There was so much history and they did it very well with lots of information notices. 




We had a nice walk ending up at an English Heritage place - old barracks and museum. It wasn’t busy - just Tilly and I and a Japanese couple. The 2 guys on duty were fabulous. One of them used to live in Kettering and knew Canons Ashby. The other was good fun, very knowledgeable and insisted on feeding Tilly treats. 


I was busting for a wee and unfortunately didn’t have the bladder control to linger! It was an interesting 45 minutes though and dogs were welcome everywhere. When I left the Barracks the heavens opened and we got soaked walking back to the car.

I stopped off at an Asda on the way out to buy a couple of DVDs. I ended up nearly having an incident in the car park. Someone had parked a good 10 cms over the line and into my parking space. I reversed in but was sticking out so far I had to back up very very close to the car behind. So close that the emergency brake came on. Unfortunately, I’d forgot I had my towbar still on and even more unfortunately, there was a guy sitting in the car behind! He realised he was well into my space so quickly reversed and got out of his car - as did I. There was no damage but I couldn’t help myself pointing out where my towbar was - 10 cms into my space! We left as friends!?!

Straight home down the A1. A nice Sainos fish pie while watching Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. A harmless little film but no Pulp Fiction!

More Brunnehilda decadence eating Cadburys chocolate and strawberry trifle in my underpants with the heating cranked up to high. Now there’s a site your brain will take some time to un-see!! The rain was coming down so hard it was impossible to hear the DVD - thank goodness for sub-titles! NB Just re-read this, it was me, not the strawberry trifle in my underpants.


A much better day today. I don’t really know why but here are some differences:
I had a plan and stuck to it.
The walks were enjoyable - no bloody mud & closed footpaths!!
I managed a swim.
I incorporated food!
I got to see some history.
I talked to other folks - albeit only for 5 to 10 minutes!

Last day tomorrow. Thank goodness for that as I’ve only got enough Cadburys chocolate and strawberry trifle for one more “session”!

Oh, and with no Benny to keep her in check, Tilly has turned into a bloody “diva”!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment