Saturday, July 15, 2023

Fraisthorpe Sands & Middleton - 14th July ‘23

Today’s walk was at Fraisthorpe - another local recommendation. This time from Ray and Luke. Good news was that high tide continues to push well into the afternoon but, the bad news is that the weather looked awful from midday onwards!

Now, in hope of pushing the blogs readership well past double figures, I had promised to keep clear of dog poo. Unfortunately this couldn’t be done as it played such a big part in the first 15 mins of the day! I was awoken in the middle of the night by Tilly jumping on the bed. She never does this unless she is trying to distance herself physically and emotionally from Ben and his actions. I was puzzled but too tired to figure it out.

I woke up quite late (about 9.30) and was awoken, not by Tilly (she was still in the bed) but by the smell. Ben had carpet bombed the whole front of the caravan with a very runny and toxic smelling explosion of poos. This was indeed the expected and violent effects of eating dead and rotten bird yesterday! It was the human equivalent of gorging on the “eat as much as you like” buffet at the past their sell by date curry shop! So, little sympathy from me as I cleared it up - using 2 full rolls of toilet paper!!

The postscript to this story is he then spent most of the first half of our beach walk desperately trying to do more! Walking along the beach in a permanent squat position with little or no success! Bloody dog!

The weather was windy, cool and the sky full of dark clouds until about midday. It then started drizzling and by 3 it was set in at 13 degrees with full on rain.


I breakfasted and was at the car park at Auburn (by Fraisthorpe) just south of Brid by about 11 am. I lot more people were leaving the beach at this time than entering it - I guess they’d all read the same weather forecast that I had!?

If I’d had my time again I would have turned left and walked the 2 miles along the beach to the South Beach at Brid. But I turned right and walked 2 miles along the beach to Skipsea. 




Here we shared a snack on the beach and then walked the 2 miles back to the car park. 


The rain was only light drizzle at this stage so I thought it might be an idea to try and get to Brid walking the other way (about another 2 miles), have some lunch and walk back. About 1 mile along the beach the rain set in and, after sheltering for a while by some 2nd World War ruined architecture, I aborted that plan and headed back to the car park. 




At this stage I spent a long time walking behind a middle aged couple holding hands  - they had the same height difference as Kim snd I and she was wearing clothes that were very Kim like. At one stage I even rehearsed catching them up and asking if we could make a threesome and I could hold the spare hand! Seriously, I was actually rehearsing what I would say! Needless to say, I didn’t! I should have been hard on myself for even thinking it but on this occasion I cut myself some slack - no harm done!



So after about 6 miles and 2.5 hours we were back at the car park. I really fancied a coffee but the restaurant and takeaway snack bar had shut up for the day - at 1 bloody 30?!


I gave the dogs some more water. I love this picture - it’s Ben patiently waiting for Tilly to give him a go. That’s love for you …


We were all a little damp at this stage, so I headed home via Tesco to get some more kitchen roll! More Tudors and a late lunch of Doritos and Stag chilli!

I then did a rare thing in Brunnehilda - I had a shower! It was ok although the water was slow to drain! At 5pm I headed out to Middleton on The Wolds - about 20 miles away. It was still raining!



I spent a very nice evening with old friends, Mervyn and Jeanette. She cooked a magnificent Lasagne and a Strawberry sponge cake. They were great friends when the kids were small but they had moved away and we’d lost touch. We only met up again after Kim passed away. It was nice to reminisce and to catch up.

NB it feels awkward writing “passed away” but I don’t like to write or say the D word! Stupid eh?

Home by 10pm. To bed watching another episode of The Tudors and blogging. Benny is doing some appalling farts - God help us, it might be a long night!!!? I gotta say, I feel a bit crook too - a bit fluey?! It’ll be all the freezing cold rain!

Finally, I picked up a crab claw on the beach at Fraisthorpe and found a great use for it!






No comments:

Post a Comment