Sunday, July 24, 2022

Longstone Edge and Longstone Moor - 23rd July ‘22

A better day today. No sun but little or no rain on the radar. This morning had the repeat episode of Tilly jumping on the bed - it’s clearly a habit now! Tea and toast and heading out soon after 10am.

Drove to Tideswell to get a sandwich and some cash (to pay the farmer on site). As usual, Tideswell was knee deep in lycra and expensive bikes. I think it’s the little coffee shop / cafe that attracts them. Like flies around poo. Talking of flies and poo, I came across these gorgeous ladies on my walk today …


I spent 20 minutes this morning deciding on my walk today. In the spirit of pushing myself, I wanted a new walk rather than playing it safe on one I knew. I didn’t fancy going up to the High Peaks - partly because it’s a longer drive but mainly because I thought it might be busy with all the good folks of Sheffield and Manchester coming out for the day! I decided I’d go for a walk above the Dales rather than yesterdays walk “in” the Dales. I chose Longstone Moor - just the other side of Monsal Head by Great Longstone - surprisingly enough!!? Here is the route.

I found a parking place very easily - it really wasn’t busy. In deed, during my 3 1/4 hour walk I only saw 2 cyclists and 5 hikers. A couple and a chap were quite young. I talked for sometime to an old guy who was lost trying to “bag” a peak he hadn’t done yet. He assumed, because of the dogs, I was local. Unfortunately after 5 mins chat, he cracked on as lost as he was when we first met! I met the 5th lady at the end of the walk. She looked lost so I greeted her with a hearty hello. The poor woman went from puzzlement to complete and utter fear. The dogs and I must be a scary sight at the end of a 3 hour yomp!?

It was a nice walk. Not much up and down as we stayed quite high up from start to finish. The only problem was the sheep. The middle 2 miles were  very sheep heavy which necessitated lots of lead work. Especially frustrating as Tilly has just decided (after 10 years!!) to want to go up and talk to sheep. As you will appreciate, the sheep aren’t to keen to talk to a sheep dog!!

So, for those that are interested:

Parked at the side of the road and walked along the Longstone Edge for over a mile. There were a lot of hang gliders out enjoying the fabulous views - as was I. 




I gotta say I would have got lost 3 or 4 times on this route but for my wonderful new OS App. Although my mobile battery was on <10% by the time I got back to the car!

After the Edge, I followed a farm track for a long time. Going by loads of old mine works. 



Then onto the open spaces of Longstone Moor. Passed a large lake (partially dried up) left over from more mining activity.


Went over a really wild bit of the moor before swinging round by a high spot cairn (1300 feet).

The walk finished through an old wooded area called Black Plantation.


Back at the car after about 3 1/2 hours (3 1/4 hours walking) and 6.2 miles. No sun but about 30 mins of drizzle. I couldn’t be bothered to get my coat out the back pack so I got slightly damp!

During the walk I shared an egg and bacon sandwich, a bar of Cadburys Fruit and Nut and Cheesy Chicken Sticks with the dogs. To be fair we shared the sandwich, I had most of the chocolate and they had all of the cheesy chicken sticks!! They found plenty of puddles from yesterdays rain to keep themselves hydrated!

Good news - after 4 visits, the dogs have finally got the hang of Derbyshire Dales stiles!

15 minute drive home to Brunnehilda. More Waltons, more Cadburys and more Report Writing. Got myself scrubbed up and out the door at 5 to meet Mandy at Cromford at 5.30pm. We took the dogs for a quick 30 mins walk upto Middleton Top. More gorgeous views.



Then a smashing evening at Mandy’s local - The Boat. Nice to meet up with a few of the locals - as I did yesterday evening with Karl at Roston. A couple of drinks and a nice steak hitting the road at about 9.15. Home by 9.45. Always great to see / catch up with Mandy.

The usual Brunnehilda end to the day: The Waltons, tea, Cadburys and blog! Hey, the life of the rich and famous eh?

It’s been a short one and one I wasn’t looking forward to it but 2 nice walks and 2 smashing evenings spent with lovely people has put a smile on my face! Back home tomorrow. 



2 comments:

  1. Have sent you Amazon link to buy the bit of kit to keep your phone charged when you are on a walk . Your blog put a smile on my face - love hearing about your healthy diet when you are on your travels 😂😂 as well as all the other content of course ! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Nothing received? Send me some Cadburys Fruit and Nut as well if you want??

      Delete