Friday, July 22, 2022

Another Month, Another Derbyshire Trip - 21st July ‘22

I think the title of this blog, Travels with Brunnehilda, is a tad misleading. Given the 4 trips so far in 2022 have all been to Derbyshire, I should be renaming it Derbyshire Travels with Brunnehilda!

This one is a shorter one though and the weather looks rather dodgy! Which is quite disappointing and ironic after a week of 30/40 degree heat and sunshine. Has to be said though, Brunnehilda has never been known for her ability to follow the sun.

I wasn’t very excited about this one. As I’ve mentioned before, it’s hard for me to get enthused before a Brunnehilda trip. That said, once I’m there, I always enjoy it. The thought of spending quality time with Kim and having her all to myself was always something to look forward too. The prospect of spending a wet weekend with a couple of smelly collies doesn’t create the same exciting anticipation. 

I was working all morning so I didn’t get to Welton Lodge Farm until 2.30. My record of getting hitched up and on the road quickly was maintained - driving out the gate shortly after 3. It was a good journey too, arriving at Topley Head Farm soon after 5pm. And that included missing my turning off the A50 - Goodness knows how I did that!! Kim would rightly accused me the of not concentrating and she would have been 100% correct!

I’m ashamed of my rig! The Volvo is filthy and Brunnehilda is a dirty girl too. Maybe a job for the Twinnies now they are on their summer holidays?


A couple of motor homes are here already. Had a chat with them both. Both are 60 plus couples - my favourite type of people - not! I don’t know what they must think of this odd bloke travelling on his own with a couple of scratty dogs? Sorry, that should read “scratty old bloke travelling with a couple of odd dogs”. My dogs are not scratty.


It wasn’t  actually raining but grey, overcast and a little cool. Had myself a Pot Noodle and a cup of tea before heading out for a short (60 minute) dog walk.

I walked down to the A6 lay-by and then dropped down the dale, over the Monsal Trail and along the River Wye for a bit. I retraced my footprints, stopping half way up the hill to call Thom for a chat in Donegal. With the exception of one wee mallard duck I didn’t see a soul on the walk. 




Back to Brunnehilda for some report writing (work), a microwave ricey meal thing and an episode of The Waltons. I’ve soon dropped back into the Brunnehilda grove!


I’m conscious I could have just copied and pasted my trip from last time into the blog and save myself some agro! Note made to self to ensure my next Brunnehilda adventure is somewhere other than Derbyshire! 



No comments:

Post a Comment