Monday, March 28, 2022

Buxton Ho - 28th March ‘22



The first trip out with Brunnehilda of 2022. And quite an important one … as a result of this trip a decision will be made about my future relationship with my gorgeous Teutonic Valkyrie. Well that’s the plan anyway!


And what a shitty start to the short 3 day break. I had made a last minute booking at Topley Head Farm a Caravan Club CL site at Blackwell near Buxton. All seemed good - the lady on the text last night was very helpful and friendly. Started well as I arrived at Brunnehilda at about 10.30. Then it happened! I tried to release the tow bar and I could hear it catching on the newly fitted bumper! So no tow bar appeared. Arghh! A quick call to the Bodyshop then a manic drive into Northampton, a 60 minute wait while they cut an aperture in the bumper. Picked up the dogs again and was finally away at 13.15 - Over 2 hours later than planned.


Arrived at Topley Head Farm just before 3.30. It’s gorgeous. Lovely views, a working farm so lots of animal activity and smells and only one other caravan in the enclosed wee paddock. The dogs loved it. Roaming around as I set up.



Once set up, the dogs and I set off on a smashing late afternoon walk in the warm sunshine. We walked from the farm, over the A6 onto the Pennine Bridleway and then a big drop down to the Monsal Trail and the River Wye (who knew eh, another River Wye??).




We had a nice long walk along the river with Benny wading out up to his tummy and just enjoying the simple pleasures of freezing cold water on his belly. He bloody loved it. Tilly not so much. We shared some Bourneville chocolate and then back the way we came up the steep incline and home to Brunnehilda.




From 6.30 to 7 the dogs and I enjoyed sitting on Brunnehilda’s steps and watching the sun go down over the herd of cows just going in for milking.



Then in for a bit of tea - microwaved Chilli and Sainos Raspberry Trifle for me! WhatsApp’d all the family and then settled down to watch (for the 4th time!) Ken Burns’ American Civil War box set. Early night tonight - I’m pooped.

But what of the progress in the big decision? Far from conclusive I’m afraid. On the van set up and walk I was bombarded with Kim memories. I try not to dwell on them or over analyse I just try and work through them and move on. They came at me thick and fast today though leaving me a bit on the ropes. I feel her so strongly around Brunnehilda, and while the memories are not unpleasant, because they come so frequently, it’s hard to throw off the feelings of loss and anger! However, the quiet evening with the dogs, the kids (via the iPhone) and Ken Burns was much more manageable with Kim memories much more sporadic and the lesser amount of them gave me more recovery time. This fcuking bed seems huge tonight though - let’s see what tomorrow brings!?



No comments:

Post a Comment