Friday, September 23, 2022

Onwards to Derbyshire - 22nd Sept ‘22

Not much to report on today but in the spirit of “the travel blog”, I’ll do a quick one. Excitement is usually hard to find in these blogs but today’s post is the very definition of “slim pickings”!

The weather broke this morning. 4 lovely dry (and sunny) days so no complaints about the drizzle I woke up to this morning. It’s always nice to arrive in the sunshine and leave in the drizzle!

Red letter day today though - I had a Brunnehilda shower. The first since I arrived. I know some of you will find that disgusting but in my defence you can get yourself and all your orifices as clean as a whistle without showering. Plus the dogs don’t seem to mind - in fact, between you and me, I think they prefer my smell the dirtier I get! But, because I’m meeting “company” over the next couple of days, I thought it only right to make the effort! I haven’t got within 5 yards of a living person in 4 days so really there was no motivation. The shower worked well though and didn’t use up too much water - although the electric boiler heater is playing up again so I had to use gas! 

No breakfast today. After a chat with my neighbours, who were packing up at the same time as me, I got started on the regular routine. Like Kim and I had, this couple had clear jobs to do individually to get ready for the off and they worked away very efficiently. I was doing everything on my Todd but i still managed to be ready to go at the same time as them which I was pleased about. I was also pleased with more excellent backing up and hitching skills. After 3 years I’m finally getting good at this sh*t! They were heading home to Manchester and I was heading for Derbyshire. We both pulled out the camp, like a couple of travellers being moved on, at about 10.15.

The traffic on the A1 was not great with several Road works either side of Newcastle slowing me down. I wanted to break the back of the journey before stopping so I went 3 hours before arriving at Wetherby soon after 1pm. There were lots of spare caravan parking spaces so I parked with ease. 



Hoisin Duck with rice and then a brisk walk around the dog walk was all that was needed to recharge all 3 of our batteries!

Arrived at Topley Bank Farm at about 4. Sat Nav took me all through the suburbs of South Sheffield just as the schools we’re kicking out - yuck! So all in all, not the best of journeys. 

Good news though - we’re on our own! So the dogs have the field to themselves and i got to practice reversing without any critical alpha male judgemental eyes on me. Ironically, I backed her onto the pitch beautifully with no bugger to witness it - bloody typical!




Time for a quick 45 minute walk in the rain to the other (fully booked!) caravan site at Blackwell and back. Dogs fed and me scrubbed and changed before getting out to meet Mandy for a meal at The Fishpond pub in Matlock Bath. 





As always, it was lovely to catch up and have a good old giggle. Particularly nice for me given the only chats I’ve had over the last 4 days have been with a NT volunteer, a Mancunian caravan couple, a slightly bonkers fungi collector and a couple of schizophrenic collies! Mandy’s dog Ethel was perfectly behaved in the pub - I left Bigbee and her mate in the car to reflect on their antisocial behaviour yesterday!

Back to Brunnehilda soon after 10. Just enough time for a Costa coffee (bought on the way home), Cadburys Mint chocolate (a new one!) and an episode of Better Call Saul.

Jeez, it’s quite here! No complaints from me though.

Embleton Bay:

Pros:
1) Great position
2) Good value
3) Very tidy and well kept 
4) Reasonable 4G
5) Water tap next to pitch
6) Lovely walk to Coastal Footpath
7) Great village pub - 20 mins walk away.

Cons:
1) I really can’t think of one!

No comments:

Post a Comment