Thursday, August 18, 2022

Tenby Dinosaur Park and Freshwater East - 17th Aug ‘22

A better day today. Woke to drizzle but from about 9am it was classic “dry with sunny spells” - up-to about 21 degrees. Before climate change, this is what used to constitute a typical English summers day.


A repeat of yesterday morning. Charlie 45 minute in the shower (more hairy towels), bacon bagels and cereal for breakfast and me 15 mins in the shower.


We had a bit of a debate this morning about what to do. It was all very civilised and grown up I have to say. After a few minutes we agreed not to go on a boat to Caldey Island and find a nice Sandy surfing beach in favour of a trip to Dinosaur Park just outside Tenby.




On reflection I think this was a pretty good decision- well done MacArthur Boys. We arrived at said Park at about 11. It was busy but not unbearable. We didn’t have to wait more than 10 mins for any of the attractions.


Charlie was very good, going on a lot of things with his wee brothers. I sneaked on a few as well. Slides, water slides, electric cars, foot golf, crazy golf, playgrounds and a maze to name but a few. 








We had a lovely 30 minute stroll in a wood in the sunshine spotting  lots of the parks inmates. 








But the highlight, for me anyway, was a safari foot tour around another wood seeing lots of “moving” dinosaurs. The wee girl (about 19 years old) who gave the 20 minute tour was absolutely fantastic. So much energy, so much fun and so knowledgeable. She got everyone - adults and kids (including Charlie!) doing all sorts of strange things and making odd noises as we got totally immersed in the world she created. She even picked on Charlie at one stage (after picking on me). Bless him, his face went the colour of Harry’s Man Utd shirt!! Note to self: I need to write an email to The Park and tell what a star they have.




After about 4 hours we were done. So ice creams and then we were outta there. 




Actually talking of snacks … I surpassed even Grandma with the array of snacks I had in my rucksack today! Just as well, as looking at dinosaurs is blimin’ hungry and thirsty work. 




Charlie fancied more fish and chips from Saundersfoot, so that’s what we did. It was just as gorgeous. This time we ate it overlooking the harbour (not the beach) with a couple of huge seagulls keeping a close watch on us throughout the feast. Another good choice by the MacArthur boys!


Then we wasted 1.5 hours looking for a supermarket that sold DVDs. It seems big supermarkets in West Wales/ Pembrokeshire are as scarce as good 4G signals! They have bloody cheap diesel though so I guess it’s swings and roundabouts!?


We finally bought a couple of DVDs to watch tonight at an Asda close to Pembroke Dock. 


By this time it was 6 o’clock so straight to the beach at the campsite for a go in the kayak.

To its credit, the sun was doing its best to come out again.


Charlie did great - considering he hadn’t kayaked before. He was paddling the Twinnies around like a pro. We had fun for about 30 mins before the Twinnies got bored and Charlie’s arms ached - light weights!





Not sure what Kim would have thought of it all but I stayed off the kayak myself and kept totally focussed on the situation for fear of getting a mental / virtual reprimand from her!!


The last couple of days have been very odd. I’ve felt very close to Kim because she would have loved it all but not in a sad way as the boys have kept me grounded on the present moment. I don’t think about her as much when I have been walking in Derbyshire as I know she wouldn’t like the sort of stuff I do there. But crikey she would have loved every second of this time with her grandsons - just as I have.


Back to Brunnehilda. I got a lot of clearing up done - including giving the old girl a bit of a wash and putting down the sun canopy. Ironically, in the evening sun. The boys watched DVDs and snacked!!



Just realised, in contrast to Charlie’s robust cleaning routine, the Twinnies haven’t had a wash or cleaned their teeth for 2 days and they’ve drunk and eaten their body weight in fizzy drinks, crisps, chocolate and sweets. Now I know a responsible grandad should care about this but .. I don’t. Better not tell their mum and dad though!!


Home tomorrow. Packing up will be challenging but I’m sure we’ll manage. Definitely do this again next year - just not sure if a 15 year old Charlie will be up for it! Count me in though if he is.



So to the scores on the doors …


Freshwater East Caravan Club Site:


Pros:

  1. Fantastic position right by a fabulous beach.
  2. Great facilities and everything very clean.
  3. Good grass pitch right by all the facilities.
  4. Very friendly staff. 
  5. Nice details - shelf to put your chemical toilet cap on and non-sizeist mirror placements in toilet/shower block!


Cons:

  1. No 4G and rather expensive and erratic WiFi.
  2. Staff may have been friendly but they still wanted Brunnehilda (dirty foreigner!) to put herself face inwards.
  3. The mega slope on the pitch - especially going front in!

2 comments:

  1. What an entertaining read !!! Really admire you John for embarking on this trip ! Not easy but you nailed it ! They are very lucky boys & I’m sure they had a blast . Hope they have a more healthy diet on return ! 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a great 3 days. One of the many advantages of being a grand parent is you don’t have to police their food and drink intake. Which is just as well as I can’t manage my own!!

      Delete