Friday, June 10, 2022

Derbyshire Dales Again - 9th June ‘22


So, Brunnehilda had been no where twice in a row until last month … We’ll she’s blimin’ well been to Derbyshire 3 times in a row now. And the same site - Topley Head Farm.

Well why not … it’s close, it’s beautiful, it’s great for dog walks and it’s somewhere Kim and I had never been.

The day started well. It was nice and warm and after a visit to Tescos to stock up, cash machine visited and diesel bought I was hitching up at about 11.45. And it was another record time for hitching - about 20 minutes! With out my Co pilot to assist I’ve discovered a number of short cuts. As an example, she would guide me back on to the towing hitch but without her I just get close(ish) and then just man handle Brunnehilda onto the ball. “Oh er misses!”

The last couple of times, the journey out has been the worst bit but I have to say it felt slightly better this time I think it helps that I know exactly where I’m going. My head doesn’t need her as much even though my heart still yearns for her company at the start of another new Brunnehilda mini adventure. 

A good journey as well. I went a different way. It was a bit tight going through Ashbourne but all good. Arrived at Topley Head Farm at about 2.15. More good news … a quick set up (about an hour). We were all on our own until about 3.30 when a camper van joined us. A cup of tea and a snack lunch before heading out on a walk at 4.15.



I’ve got to say a huge thank-you to my cousin Di. She encouraged me to get the Ordnance Survey App on my phone. I did and it was bloody marvellous. Without it I wouldn’t have found the wonderful walk I went on and even if I found it, I would have gone wrong at least 3 times on the way round! It uses GPS to track you and is very easy to see exactly where you are and where you should be going. Here is the walk.


It was 4.5 miles but took me 3 hours! You can do the maths and realise I didn’t exactly sprint round! And that’s with only about 1 x 10 minute stop! In my defence there was a lot of difficult walking. Ironically this sign was at the end of the difficult stretch not at the start.


It was made challenging by the recent rains that had created a lot of mud. After dropping down into Chee Dale and crossing the river, we then walked about 1.5 miles on the edge of the River Wye. The mud coated rock made it pretty treacherous. In fact, I don’t think I would have made it without the impromptu walking stick I made at the start of the difficult bit. I only ended up in the water once - upto my ankles! The scenery was magnificent and Benny was in his element - he loves water.







To be honest, Ben was a bit of a nightmare - it was his turn today! As there was no one around - we only saw one couple and 2 lots of rock climbers - he doesn’t feel the need to herd Tilly. So he goes way in front darting down to the water at every opportunity. It meant he was out of sight for much of this part of the walk. And the problem with Benny is the more you shout at him the more utterly confused he gets!




Once we left the river we climbed up steeply out of Chee Dale and walked on the top of the hills to Blackwell. From there it was a simple hike back to the A6 lay-by at the bottom of the farm access road. In all, I think the dogs were unleashed for 90% of the time. Virtually no road walking so the 10% was just when we encountered sheep! The first picture shows my homemade walking stick. Without which I may well have just spent most of the 3 hours on my ar*e!





Kim would have bloody hated it. Too dangerous, too unknown and too long. I imagined what feedback she would be giving to me if I had lead her on this particular expedition!

Back to Brunnehilda at about 7.30. Tea (microwave meal from Tesco’s) and a very nice Belgium beer slipped down well. Got to say, I’m well p*ssed off with Tesco’s. As usual I forgot my Clubcard so all the good deals I was selecting were charged at full price at the till. It probably cost me an extra £5! It makes me want to avoid the place! Just take your bloody club card I hear you say - and to be honest, you’ve got a point!



Another big step forward tonight - I watched an episode of The Waltons! Now that may sound to most folks more of a step back than a step forward but … as Kim and I always used to watch the Waltons while we were having our tea in Brunnehilda, it hasn’t been something I’ve felt upto doing - until today. 

Good night John Boy!




6 comments:

  1. I’m absolutely loving your blog John 😃. Being proudly Derbyshire born and bred myself, it’s great to see and hear your adventures with your beautiful dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really only do it for selfish reasons so to hear people are enjoying reading it is such a bonus. John

      Delete
  2. Well there’s another app to get them John. Telcos Clubcard one. I never remember the card either but I always have the mobile!
    Stoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There’s an app for everything Stooie! John

      Delete
  3. Another enjoyable read . You are so adventurous using the OS map app for the first time on unknown & difficult terrain! Looks beautiful! Definitely lots of moving forward signs in this blog !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going forward and hopefully not getting lost!! John

      Delete