Sunday, December 5, 2021

Off to Brighton - 4th December ‘21

This is a strange one … after a lot of consideration I decided to take Brunnehilda down on my trip to see Bobby and Holly at Brighton. I was going to take a trip in Brunnehilda to the Peak District a couple of weeks ago but I “bottled out”.

The thought of time spent in Brunnehilda on my own was a little too much. It’s weird but I feel closer to Kim in Brunnehilda than I do at home!? The feelings of missing her seem to be getting greater as we get nearer Christmas! My plan was to take Brunnehilda to Brighton so I could spend the day with the family before going back home to Brunnehilda. A sort of “half way” to get me back on the horse! All that said, I didn’t spend the night in her tonight!

I dropped the dogs off at the kennels at 8.30. They had only been back 2 days since their visit earlier in the week - I was at Thom and Rachel’s in County Donegal. As you might expect, Matilda was none too happy with such a speedy return visit!

I got hooked Brunnehilda up relatively quickly. Kim is particularly missed when I’m checking if my lights are working! It involves a brick wedged on the accelerator and a lot of walking between the car and the back of the van and back again!


A quick stop at Cobham Services and I was arriving at Brighton Caravan Club Site at about 2.30pm. The M25 was very busy and I missed my co-pilot keeping me focussed on the job in hand! It is noticeable that a lot more folks are masked up. A month ago when I stopped at Cobham going to Brighton about 10% wore masks. More like 70% now. This new variant is clearly putting folks back on their guard.

Setting up Brunnehilda is a particularly miserable task now. Kim and I had it down to a fine art - I did outside, she did inside and we treated ourselves to a cup of tea at the end of it! I did outside, I did a superficial job inside and then got on my bike and headed off for Bobby and Holly’s flat in the centre of Brighton - 50 yards from the beach, 100 yards from the i360 tower.


It was quite a tough 30 minute bike ride along the front. As you would imagine it’s fairly flat but there was a strong head wind. The caravan park is the other side of the Marina. There is a very impressive cycle lane for about 90% of the journey. I arrived at their flat very sweaty so a shower was in order - and borrowing a tea shirt from Bobby.


They’ve done a great job with their new flat - it looks fabulous. A shower and cup of tea and The MacArthurs arrived at about 4.30. 

We headed out for a nice evening walk along the front and into the City Centre. Ended up at Phoo and had a wonderful meal - great food and fabulous company. The boys were on particularly good form. Kim would have absolutely loved it!


We walked onto the Christmas Fair and the boys had some toasted marshmallows. 


Then on to the skating rink outside The Royal Pavilion- it felt very Christmassy! Home to the flat for a bit before the MacArthurs went back over the road (literally!) to the Holiday Inn.



A bit of tele (the Beatles documentary on Disney+) but all 3 of us were tired so we had an early night. I was persuaded to stay at Bobby and Hollys rather than make the cold, wet journey back to Brunnehilda along the coastal cycle path. To be honest it didn’t take a lot of effort to convince me to stay in a nice warm flat rather than face the cold and the wet!

No comments:

Post a Comment