Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Off to Northumberland - 27th September ‘21

So, another Brunnehilda trip without my True Companion. This time the Norse Valkyrie and I have headed northwards.

I left the Shire at 9.30 having loaded the car in the pouring rain - the first we’ve seen for a month. Glad that somethings remain constant - Brunnehilda’s magical effect on the weather will forever remain a frustrating reality.


I’m hoping that this will be a better trip. It’s only 2 1/2 months since Kim passed but this trip is to a place with no joint memories and I’ve got a dog packed to keep me company.

The first challenge was getting the car full of fuel. After a bit of queuing and a very expensive trip to Watford Gap Services yesterday afternoon I had a full tank of diesel. I can’t explain what a wonderful feeling that is. The brave new post Brexit post Covid world that is 2021 Britain is surely a strange place. I still don’t think the bozos that voted for Bojo get it - this is what we wanted!

The 260 mile to Embleton Bay Caravan Park took about 6 hours with a 45 minute stop off at Wetherby. The Services were really busy but at least the gentleman on car park duty kept the white van men from pinching the caravan spots and I was ushered into the last remaining spot. Huge queues not just for the fuel but also for all the eateries. I ended up with a coffee and a Cornish Pastie that I shared with the dog. It has to be said, Tilly was not too happy about Costa’s no dog allowed inside policy!


I arrived at Embleton at about 4pm. A pretty good run apart from some roadworks going through Newcastle. The sun is out but it’s pretty chilly. The set up didn’t take too long. Although only a small 5 van CL, every pitch has water as well as electric hook up. The site is full and the other campers, as usual with CLs, seem quite friendly. I treated my self to a quick cup of tea and then headed out to find the nearest beach.


Turns out that was about a 5 minute car journey through the village of Embleton to Dunstan Steads. I parked up in a little car park and walked across the golf course to the beach. Turns out the car park is the official parking for the ruined and evocative Dunstanburgh Castle. 


Tilly and I walked along the beautiful beach for about 45 minutes. I was hoping to walk as far as Low Newton by the Sea and then find a route back to car following the coastline. However, at this time of year it gets dark very quickly so I didn’t feel confident enough to find my way in the gloaming. I choose to retrace my steps back down the beach. 



There were a few folks out enjoying the Autumn evening but not many. An oldish couple appeared from the dunes and went for a swim. I was very jealous but, even though I had my trunks in my bag, I chose not to follow them in. The funny thing was their Labrador went in with them and then turned round  and sat on the shore watching his/her crazy owners in complete disbelief!


I got back to the car at 7 and it was quite dark by this stage. And I was blimin’ hungry.

I headed for Greys Inn in the village. Greys was the family name of one of the castle owners. It was a very pleasant village pub full of locals and holiday makers and lots of well behaved dogs. Tilly stayed in the car as she can’t be trusted on a lead in canine company! The food was good - I had a burger. I sat next to a very friendly old couple from Sheffield. I had a bit of a chat to them as I munched through my burger. Although as they were on my deaf side the conversation was a bit like a Two Ronnies sketch. I answered some questions but I’m not sure they were the ones they asked me!! Turns out the old boy was from Leeds and a big Rugby League fan.

Home to Brunnehilda. A cup of tea, an episode of The Sopranos and an episode of The Wire and then off to bed to write the blog. 


Today has gone ok. I’ve managed pretty well. As always it’s silly little things that set me off - putting out all the cups that Kim had bought from all our travels, pouring a single cup of tea, passing a middle aged couple walking on the beach holding hands. I’m ok feeling sad when these things trigger a memory - what I hate is that feeling going from sadness to anger and self pity. I must have passed 8 to 10 couples walking on the beach tonight- many of them a lot older than Kim. It really isn’t their fault that they’re still here and Kim isn’t! When I’ve got so much to be thankful for (my wonderful family being top of the list!), what right have I to feel sorry for myself!

Cranked up the heating and settled Tilly down on the towel - she’s still very wet from the beach. I glanced at the wee ornament on the wardrobe door - it made me smile and gave me my last memory of the day as I climbed into Brunnehilda’s big old bed!



No comments:

Post a Comment